Camp Invention is an exciting, week long science camp with activities that explore connections between science, technology, engineering, and innovation while sharpening their 21st century learning skills.
Students from grades kindergarten through sixth experienced real-world problem solving, creative thinking, invention, and teamwork, during a week-long adventure rotating through several fascinating modules inspired by the Inductees of the National Inventors Hall of Fame.
Throughout the week our campers participated in a few of the following activities:
Duct Tape Billionaire: Campers became D.I.Y. (Do It Yourself) duct tape dynamos, designing products that will be all the rage. They created amazing duct tape accessories and then put their own patented spin on them. Campers took risks and created a start-up business that put their products in high demand!
Exploranauts: Campers launched on their mission to locate and prepare a new planet for human habitation. They searched the skies to reveal the possibilities and raced rovers to collect important data. The exploranauts set up a Space Lab to hatch animal eggs, sprout plants, and grow crystal trees. They completed their ultimate mission of terraforming a distant new exo-planet, designing inventions to transform its atmosphere, terrain, and ecosystem to create the next Earth. Their imaginations were stretched, while extending the frontier.
Along with these projects campers also:
- Built and defended castles against dragons
- Built and learned about slingshots and then had a “snowball” fight with our slingshots and snowball catchers
- Built rockets and targets and tested our rockets while observing how different variables changed the distance it flew
- Built bubble blasters and made up games to play with them
- Saved mini chickens from the fried chicken bucket using our inventions and sent them flying back to the farm
- Learned about circuitry while taking apart old electronics
- Built an alarm box using our new knowledge of circuits
Created by the National Inventors Hall of Fame, Camp Invention is the only nationally recognized summer program focused on creativity, innovation, real-world problem solving and the spirit of invention. St. Amelia School was pleased to offer the nationally acclaimed program that began on June 26, 2017 with Kathy Adymy serving as Director of the Launch program