Camp Invention is an exciting, week long science camp with activities that explore connections between science, technology, engineering, and innovation while sharpening their 21st century learning skills.
Students from grades kindergarten through sixth experienced real-world problem solving, creative thinking, invention, and teamwork, during a week-long adventure rotating through several fascinating modules inspired by the Inductees of the National Inventors Hall of Fame.
Throughout the week our campers participated in a few of the following activities:
Campers will launch into the future with their own Optibot—a small self-driving bot that senses changes in light. Exploring the technology behind transportation, children will design the ultimate futuristic vehicle that might one day be reality!
• Designed tracks for their bots to follow while exploring different modes of transportation
• Explored impact sensors using a small-scale crash test dummy
• Discovered how sensors are used in autonomous vehicles
• Personalized their own line tracing robot to take home
Robotic Pet Vet™
Animal shelters are reporting that malfunctioning robotic dogs have been popping up all over town. Hurry and tell your young inventor to grab their vet kit because there’s only one cure for these pups—innovation! Throughout this module, campers diagnose puppy problems and design and build dog parks as they hammer out ideas for the best dog park attraction.
• Used tools to take apart robotic dogs and compare their inner mechanics to the anatomy and physiology of a real dog
• Explored spatial reasoning and design engineering as they constructed a dog park
• Analyzed simple machines and circuits used to make the dog move, bark and light up
• Customized their own robotic dog to take home
Mod My Mini Mansion™
Campers will dream up and design their very own futuristic smart home filled with gadgets, LEDs, technology and innovation! From talking mirrors to toasters that know how to cook their favorite foods, your child will invent and build models of these smart gadgets and gizmos.
• Made their own take-home mini mansions
• Discovered the Internet of Things and how smart devices are connected and controlled
• Explored renewable sources to power up their eco-smart mini mansions
• Changed letters into numbers using binary code to create a message
Stick To It™
Campers will invent something new every day as they explore what it is like to be a physicist, engineer and entrepreneur. Daily challenges inspire campers to bring their own ideas to the table, think big, persevere and get to the heart of what it means to be an inventor. Your young innovator will invent, make and craft solutions to real-world challenges by building their own prototypes and discovering that anything is possible!
• Made their own dancing dinosaur using a mechanical gear box in the “Dance to Your Own Beat” challenge
• Created a robotic arm to retrieve silver coins in the “Silver lining” challenge
• Built a plush cupcake catapult in the “It Will Be a Piece of Cake” challenge
• Explored chemistry, non-Newtonian fluids and magnetism as they investigate magnetic slime